Friday 21 November 2014

First Snowfall

It was rather white and very pretty.  Then it got very blowy - okay, the wind was blowing everything to the horizontal.  And it was cold.  What a LION of an entry for winter's first snowfall!

So, we really were not ready.  I guess it's going to thaw next week to allow us to catch up.  We'll see.  I will prioritise once again.

I am very behind with my blog.  It has been very busy.  There are several new additions.

I found four Chanteclerc hens for sale.  They are just starting to lay.  I had been looking for this breed in particular as it was developed in Canada to tolerate our cold winters; the combs and wattles are small.  I wanted a few more hens since production is not quite enough for me to put a sign at the end of the driveway to advertise eggs for sale.

So the new girls arrived and there was some squawking.  Okay, there was a lot of squawking.  Before their arrival I read that they are not a pet kind of bird and were described as flighty.  This seems to be true, however one allowed me to pet it today.  The reds are nasty to them.  After all, the expression 'pecking order' was created by these creatures and they are demonstrating their expertise in this area.  I have put out a second feeder and moved it closer to the Chanteclers when there is an opportunity.

They are a Banty variety and instead of the white variety are dark in colouring with black and brown and red highlights.  These girls' beaks were not trimmed like the reds were and so they are sharp.  They are young, born in the spring and just starting to lay.  Their eggs are brown and at this point, tiny - especially when compared to the very large eggs of the reds.  An aside, there was a large double yoker laid by one of the reds last week.  Hubby enjoyed that for breakfast.

Oh, yeah, the snow.  Well, more of it arrived.  The sheep are still wandering down by the house and are foraging for grass.  That is, they are digging in the snow to find grass to munch on.  I am feeding hay.  I have been feeding more hay.  I ran through my calculations and I'm feeding more hay.  The sheep have been getting a bit of grain too to add some bonus nutrition for the breeding season.  Birch the new ram joined the flock last week.

There was the wild barn cat I brought home that was last seen in a tree, care of border collie Beau.  I was a little more strategic this time.  I have been watching kijiji and found a young barn cat, fixed, up-to-date on shots and free.  It turns out it is a rescue for euthanasia bound cats.  I was going to get two but the second one was not feeling well.  Humphrey meowed a bit on the way home and otherwise was an excellent passenger.  I had held on to the poultry crate I borrowed to get kitties home too.

At home we took Humphrey in the crate into the barn with the Maremmas.  Ruby went bonkers as there was an intruder in her barn!  Kitty ate some vittles.  He seemed quite hungry.  Ruby didn't bother too much until later and when I entered the barn Ruby was at the rafters on the stacked hay, peering over the wall into the overhang where the hay was stored on the other side of the wall. 

So, Humphrey remained calm and stayed setting atop the wall.  In a second he could dash into the hay on the other side and Ruby would not be able to follow.  Humphrey seemed to me to be quite content.  I was happy as Humphrey remained calm and in control and able to handle this HUGE puppy barking in his face.  And on the other side of the wall there is an abundance of mice and rats. 

Oh, and we picked up a side of beef today.  Local, happy cow.  We had some for dinner.  And last night we ate lamb.  All very good and good for us.  Not sure we can describe snow that way...


No comments:

Post a Comment