Wednesday 16 April 2014

Return of the swallows

Isabella Conway was always delighted when the barn swallows returned in the spring.  They usually used last year's nest, doing a few renovations, and then getting down to filling the nest with eggs.  I heard and saw a swallow in the small barn this morning.  To protect the paint on the cars we did remove the old nests in the garage area.

We continue to slowly recover from the basement flood.  I think we can now say we are dry - except for the books.  So many of them are still sopping and mold will likely begin to grow in them now.  There are a few one of a kind that are irreplaceable.  Surprisingly the wet photos have dried well.

We had an amazing weekend with daughter and her godparents.  It was not necessary that they be here at the same time; they were all available at that time.  Daughter arrived on Thursday evening.  I was directing her to the clothing section in the Superstore to look for rubber boots and she announced she brought her own.  She was very well prepared indeed.  Well, I had to lend her a coat for the barn.

It was dark when I took daughter out to the barn.  I had her wait until I turned on some lights.  I wasn't sure if the llamas - Henrietta in particular - would posture and be defensive with this new person.  I had armed daughter with carrots and she was immediately accepted without any qualms whatsoever.

Daughter chuckled and remarked that "This life is so very different from the one you left behind.  I know", she said, "that you have done this animal stuff before, I've heard you talk about it.  But to see you doing this, it's such a big change!"

I was amused and surprised with the remarks.  And tickled too.  She's quite right.  I had not thought of it from her perspective. This stuff feels natural to me but it looks different to her.

The sheep got out and, as hubby said, entertained us.  We gathered them up a few times.  This happened late Friday afternoon after the arrival of the godparents.  They have sheep herding experience which was put to good use.

The weather over the weekend was beautiful, sunny, and warm.  We went for a very long walk on the property.  The guys fixed things, tuning the garage door opener, putting up a new light, tweaking fences, etc., and they made lambing pens.  I was thrilled.  We got big barrels for grain and went to the local grocer to get a few things - all part of the tour. I was booked into a Colour Theory course on the Sunday but everyone managed without me.  Besides, it was an excellent course.

The visitors left on Monday.  And then winter returned.  Just for a day or so.  Tuesday we had rain, snow, and sleet.  I topped up water in the morning.  Wednesday morning it was cold and the water buckets were all frozen.  But Wednesday brought with it the sun and the swallows.  I'll take that.


No comments:

Post a Comment