Tuesday 8 July 2014

Hyper Vigilance

I was once cautioned by a doctor to be aware of my personal traits of obsessionality.  I decided at that time that these personal features were good things and for the most part that has been true.  However there have been times when obsessional tendencies have been detrimental to my own well being.  At this place in my life I do feel that I have a good balance. As of late however I have had to wonder....

We had a lovely time in Europe.  First we were in Belgium and enjoyed Brussels and Ypres.  Then we spent a day travelling by train to Bedburg Hau in Germany.  There we enjoyed celebrating daughter's marriage to her German sweetheart.  This was the German party, following the Canadian wedding of last fall.

  The happy couple were treated to a lovely carriage ride to the reception site. 






  What a happy couple!  What a lovely team of horses!  The very light drizzle stopped.




Our trip was filled with interesting touring; lots of great food, beer and wine; celebration with family; and enjoying some good time together as a couple.  None of this would have been possible without Cousin's stay at the farm.  We are enormously grateful to her.  The daily email updates were most welcome, especially considering the situation when we left.

This blog is not about our trip but about our farm, Kinnaird Farm.  We named the farm after my late father-in-law whose second name was Kinnaird.  Scottish, it means high end; head;  headland.  It is 'From the name of a place in Scotland. The area concerned is high and occupies a vantage point and may have been named in Gaelic as Ceann Ard, literally meaning "high end or head"'.  As you approach our farm it is the primary feature along this part of the road.  In addition there are several outcroppings of rock, chunks of the Canadian Shield that emerge as part of the unique landscape of the Frontenac Arch Biosphere.  These geographical features may be viewed as fulfilling the description 'kinnaird'.  Consider for example, Table Rock, in a previous blog post.

We arrived home on Monday, June 30th in good time to do evening chores with Sister who had relieved Cousin the day before.  We were certainly well greeted by canines, black and white - the black Beau-dog having adorned himself in something extra vile smelling and wanting hugs anyway!  The animals looked very well indeed.  Sister had laid in provisions for which we were thankful as Tuesday, July 1st was a holiday.  Not only had she ensured this cookie monster was supplied, that hubby had beer but also she prepared all that was necessary for a Canada Day dinner celebration, including Mom's potato salad!

On Canada Day we each puttered at a variety of tasks.  Hubby and I were taking it fairly easy as our bodies adjusted to the home timezone.  Having departed under such stressful circumstances and now with the timezone adjustment to deal with - plus the obsessional personality - I found myself hyper vigilante about the sheep.  I was extremely attentive to their behaviours, watching for any sign of disturbance in the flock.

I was not unjustified in this hyper vigilance.  People have told me that for predator control all one needed to do was lock up the sheep at night.  I have been told I would never see a coyote, that they are much too sly to be seen.  I have also been informed that a coyote would never attack during the day.  My sheep and chickens are in the barn every night, usually by dusk.  All of our attacks have been daytime and I have viewed the culprit too many times now.

So, at four in the afternoon the flock herded together, was frightfully silent and collectively looked out over the field.  I ran.  I ran up behind the barn and over to the edge of the hill.  And there he was, Wiley coyote, looking through the two llamas toward the flock of sheep.  The llamas were just raising their heads to look at him.  I say he; it must be a strong alpha male with a real cocky attitude to be so brazen.  If I'd had a shotgun, even with my lack of experience I could have hit him from this short distance.  He was close!

He saw me and turned around.  He started to trot off and then turned and looked at me.  "Go" I shouted.  "Get out of here!" I added, louder.  I turned toward the house where sister was weeding a garden bed and I let her know hubby and his gun were needed.  When I looked back Wiley was leaping the fence effortlessly.

Of course he was gone, quickly scurrying into the long grass and underbrush at the north side of the property.  Sister counted the sheep now in the barn and all were present.  I walked through and all seemed fine, physically.

Hyper vigilant?  Yes!  I believe this is required at this time.  I realise that I have become THE Livestock Guardian.  Before the disappearance of Tiny while we were away, hubby helped me to see that the coyote has actually not been that successful.  The first score was the disappearance of two lambs at the same time.  Next, was Lucky, a breakfast I interrupted.  And on the third visit, once again, I foiled the coyote's meal plans.  So, really, success from the coyote perspective was not that good.  At the two more recent encounters, Tiny's disappearance and the Canada Day visit, the coyote is still not making a lot of headway.  Since the Canada Day visit the Big Barn blares toward the field an all talk radio station during the day.  Yesterday I fenced the sheep out of the Front Field, forcing them to eat only around the house, each of its thirty-one windows watching for coyote presence.

Hubby too has been extra attentive.  Each morning this week, before getting ready for work, he has walked the Front Field with his rifle.  This week he picked up the second new rifle purchase.  At the store he was informed he was the third person that day making such a purchase for predator control purposes.


And then I realised that I am the only one who has ever seen the coyote!  Cousin suggested the cheeky guy waited for my return to actually put in an appearance on Canada Day.  I do not feel honoured by Wiley in this regard.  I trust that others believe me when I say I saw this tall, lanky, four legged Eastern coyote with Lucky hanging from his mouth....

With further thought I realised too that the attacks may not necessarily have diminished with the arrival of Millie.  I think that Millie's effectiveness can be improved with the addition of a helper for her.  My research indicates this is the next step; that is, the addition of another Livestock Guardian Dog.  However we have decided that Millie needs some more adjustment time, as we too adjust to the home timezone.


No comments:

Post a Comment