Tuesday 8 September 2015

Oz Work














He's a busy orange tractor, is Oz.  I want to tell you about the forks.  But I don't have a photo.  In looking for one I found the 'poster' above and was intrigued to learn that there are so many different types of forks.

I digress...  This is about Oz's forks.





Here is a cousin of Oz's applying forks to a round bale.  Oz's forks have allowed us to purchase this type of larger bale this year.  The dairy farmer from whom we purchase hay and straw has baled these in large rectangular bales.  Instead of ten small bales 'man-handled' from field to wagon to barn to wagon to our barn, Oz lifts one big bale.  So, when the dairyman brought the wagon of hay I took my time and learned how to manoeuvre and manage the forks. 

I have been busy with Oz and the front end loader cleaning the manure out of the barn.  I took my time.  I learned how to dig the bucket edge down and drag backwards to loosen up the manure from against the wall.  I can move the bucket forward across the floor, 'floating' just above the ground and scrape what's in the path.  And then there is pushing into a depth of manure and lifting and tipping the bucket at the same time to wiggle and jiggle as much as possible into the bucket.  This of course is all much faster than digging out the barn by hand with a fork - another kind of fork - and a wheelbarrow.

By the time then I got to the fork work with the bales it almost seemed easy.  One big advantage is visibility; that is, you can see so much more with forks than with the bucket.  I got a few pointers from the dairyman and he said to take my time and get used to it.  Hubby appeared shortly and the two of them chatted while Oz and I did the work.  Part way through the dairyman said, "Isn't that easy?  You just moved ten bales in a very few minutes.  And, your arms don't hurt!"  I agreed.  "And"  he went on, "It's less work for me" as he continued to watch me unload his wagon.

He had gotten stuck on the sideroad on the way over and now he was spinning his wheels here at the barn.  I had to push him.  He gave me some direction.  I pressed the fork frame against the back beam on the trailer floor.  I pressed harder and it budged then moved forward.  He was then able to move the trailer so I could unload the other side. 

There is a bit more manure in the barn, around the edges and it has to get picked out by hand.  One big bale of straw was delivered and I unloaded that right into the barn.  The sheep - and the Maremmas - have enjoyed lolly-gagging in the piled bedding.

Hubby asked me where I wanted the manure and I said next to the veggie garden.  The idea is that there is concrete rubble underground here and the rototiller is not a good option.  So, by adding bulk and building up I plan to make a raised bed in which to plant more permanent items such as asparagus.

"How much?" he asked.  "All of it" I replied.  Although it seemed a lot at the time and a lot in the piles created outside the barn, spread out on the ground, there really was not that much manure.  Hubby had it moved in very short order.  A project that would have taken days and a lot of sweat was done in a few hours.

Ruby and Beau mucking in the muck that Hubby and Oz moved next to the veggie garden.


Oz does an amazing amount of work for us.  We are learning just how much he can do for us.  And forks!  Who knew there were so many variations - !
















No comments:

Post a Comment