Thursday 11 September 2014

Being here



Eight seconds

We had a very nice visit with KJ and CB last week.  Hanging in my mind is CB's question, "How long did it take you to decide to buy this place, about 8 seconds?"  And that is pretty much how it was, really.  With all of the challenges over the past seven months it is encouraging to hear the views of others, that this is truly a lovely place and what a beautiful adventure.  And then, "Can we come and visit again?"  The answer, always, is "Yes, certainly.  Just let us know...."

Many deduce at first glance that this is an old house and it is not.  It is eighteen years old and was a rebuild following a fire.  There are several spots around that seem to be the remnant foundations of previous buildings.  I plan to research and find out more.  In addition I have met a man in his eighties who remembers coming here when he was a child of about ten.  There was an Ayrshire dairy herd here then.

Being there for a friend

When our friend called she was distraught, upset to say today was the day she had to put down her beloved dog.  It had to be today.  He cannot manage any longer.

We had said recently she was welcome to bury him here on the farm.  And so we organised our day and prepared for her arrival.  We had located a pet cemetery at the back of the small forest behind the house.  We went there and selected a spot.  Hubby got some tools and he went out to dig the hole.

He came back a while later to report he'd hit hard ground and needed a pick axe.  Off we went to the neighbour's to borrow one.  In the end the hole was not as deep as desired but it would do.

And so she arrived with the body of her beautiful old beast in the back of the car.  Hubby gently scooped him up and laid him kindly in the sheet lined wheelbarrow.  Goodbyes were said with teary eyes and the sheet was wrapped around him.

Hubby laid him in the prepared place and his owner took up the shovel and tearfully filled in the space.

We walked.  We talked.  We hugged.  After a cool drink on the veranda she headed home.  The next day she returned with her son and they placed a marker on the gravestone.

We were glad to be there for a friend.

Rain

A steady and gentle rain is perfect for running in, at least that's my experience.  I do like a soft and gentle rain.  If you are a grazing animal and need to eat, rain is accepted.  So, off we went the other morning, Millie and I and the flock of sheep.  I wore a full rain suit, thanks to hubby who often keeps me dressed for the weather in cool stuff.  I'm not sure rain gear is cool but I remained dry.

I headed to the cabin as the sheep had selected that area of the field for grazing this morning.  I removed some of my rain gear and hung out there.  I propped open the door and Millie actually put both front feet inside.  I put a chair nearby and petted her on the dry parts under her neck.  Because of the wet I had not brought a craft with me, but had my rifle along.

Rain.  It is needed.  It rained all morning.  I'd had enough after an hour and so had the sheep.  They headed in to the barn and I followed.

Northern Harrier

I saw this bird hanging around the other morning and hubby got out the big camera.  We asked our avid bird watching friend and she quickly identified it as a Northern Harrier.  They used to be known as a Marsh Hawk.  We thought it was a Golden Eagle but the tail feathers are wrong.  He - I am assuming gender - has been around a few other days.  Enjoy the photos.




Descriptions state that the Northern Harrier has an owl like flat face, which can be seen in this photo - okay, maybe you have to zoom into the photo to see it.  In addition, a distinguishing feature is the white patch at the top of the tail or the rump.
 




Each of these anecdotes is about being here...






No comments:

Post a Comment