Sunday 28 September 2014

Dog Days

The last two weeks since I wrote have flown by and been consumed with dog activities. 

On the Friday Ruby arrived and she has settled in quite nicely.  The poor dear eats lunch mid-afternoon since that's about when I remember.  She doesn't seem to suffer for it.

The following Thursday Millie was booked for her surgery.  We were to arrive at eight.  I had been feeding her in the car for a month.  This was the day, and as I was pushing her into the car she escaped.  Two more times I caught her but she would not get into the car and I could not drag her or lift her into the car. 

I had just caught her the second time when my neighbour arrived after I telephoned her for help.  She had come right away.  Her idea involved long towels looped underneath Millie and I had just remembered Beau-dog's car harness.  I gathered up these things and together it worked.  We had the harness and a towel for the hind end. 

Beau came too to keep Millie company, he in the front seat and Millie in the back.  She was nervous.  At the Vet's she slid nicely along the floor, me pulling on the harness and the Vet Tech pushing on the back end.  She weighed in at 88 pounds, a bit lighter than I expected. 

I commented that it had been a hectic morning and a particular beverage might be in order.  I went to the drive-thru for coffee on my way home.

Getting her home and settled wasn't too bad as Millie was groggy.  On day one I tied her outside.  When I returned a half hour later Millie was walking up the driveway having just inspected a passing vehicle.  She had slipped the harness and I dubbed her a Houdini relation.  On day two I found her in the alleyway in the barn, having jumped over the four and a half foot door.  She had worked under the metal rack over the window and ripped out most of the screen.  I have since tied these to the wall. On day three she was outside, having chewed the mesh from above two stall doors and jumped each of them.  Later she slipped the harness while tied up and I was watching.

A piece of wood, nails and hammer resulted in the four and a half foot doorway becoming a six foot doorway.  She hasn't gotten out since. The harness has been very well tightened.

Now the world looks differently.  Today Millie came out with me and Ruby to mind the sheep.  After a thorough check of the field and some play time with Ruby, Millie disappeared back to the house.  By late morning she went into the box stall by herself and stayed there to rest.  It has become her happy place.  I locked her in for a few hours midday and then let her out late afternoon.  She has walked on a lead without being dragged. 

As desired Millie is becoming more grounded and solidly oriented to the Small Barn rather than the house.  Today she did get under the veranda for a short time - I could tell as she got fine dirt in her incision!  We went out this evening for a short time and I left Millie out to keep an eye on the sheep.  As we drove down the driveway I observed her enter the Small Barn heading for her stall.

I have learned that Millie really does trust us.  She is very loving and accepting of each of us now.  I have learned that she will allow us to do anything with her without responding in an angry snarl or physical behaviour.  She's a big dog so it is good to know this about her.  I have really pushed her in the last ten days and she has taken it all.  She knows now that no harm will come to her.  She knows that we might lock her up, but we let her out again. 

The harness has remained on her and will for another week.  Right now Millie is not on night duty.  I have not even heard her bark at night from inside the barn.  In addition no cars have been chased.

I really need Millie to check the Middle Field when the sheep go out.  We heard coyotes in that area this evening.  I really need Millie to teach Ruby some stuff. 

Ruby started barking this morning at something.  Millie had returned to the house but she heard Ruby and began to bark as well.  The sheep herded together and watched and listened.  All was well.

Ruby likes to play chase - including chasing sheep.  She knows she is not supposed to do this.  The sheep do not run helter skelter away from her but they do move away from Ruby - especially the one she is chasing.  I can correct her verbally and she does respond - if I see her.  In general she does not stay out in the Middle Field with the sheep.  However this evening Ruby had gone out into the Front Field with the sheep and was chasing them.  I need Millie to help correct this behaviour too.

Ruby is very grounded in the Big Barn.  The sheep look at her and stamp their feet and Ruby just looks back and says "I'm here right where I'm supposed to be".  I have seen her lick Clover's face twice.  I have seen adult sheep try to butt her and Ruby just moves more quickly.  All in all, Ruby is settling in well.

Dog days yes, and the Indian Summer weather makes me think of the dog days of summer.  These days are numbered for sure.  And I know - and am reassured by my neighbour - that next year will be totally different when the sheep and dogs are well bonded.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like there has been a TON of improvement. YEAH! I hope Millie heals well. And I'm sure Ruby will let you know when her next growth spurt starts and she needs more food. Nice work. Glad you are enjoying the lovely weather. Isn't it heavenly?

    ReplyDelete