Friday 16 January 2015

Cold events

The green Christmas quickly turned into Winter as the snow fell down and stayed.  And now it is cold.

I know that cold is part of winter but does it have to be so very cold?  Actually it is not as cold here near the St. Lawrence Seaway as it was - and is presently - in the Ottawa Valley.

So, how do I know it's cold?  Let me tell you...

  • It snowed and then it rained and then it snowed and got really cold.  Someone asked me how the sheep were managing the cold.  They haven't been bothered by the cold, but after this Topsy turvey in temperature the outer wet layer of their fleece froze.  It was like little icicles.  The sheep do not like the wind and if a storm is happening they are happy to move under the overhang.
  • Henrietta the llama was shivering one morning.  It was before she had eaten her breakfast.  And then the sun came out and she soaked it up.  In short order the shivering stopped.
  • My hens are suffering from frostbite on their combs and wattles.  Just the Reds.  My research indicates they don't need heat but ventilation.  At any rate, I put on a light to offer a small amount of heat.  In addition I have applied Vaseline to the sensitive areas, an event in which they were very cooperative.  In terms of cooperation it's good it is the Reds as the Chanteclers would not tolerate being held never mind touched.  The Chanteclers have settled in and the pecking order has been established.  All nine of the birds now eat together and they will roost together too. The Chanteclers are a specifically developed breed that has small combs and wattles to survive the Canadian winter - no Vaseline required.
  •  The water was frozen two mornings in a row.  That is, the handle of the pump was frozen.  Thankfully the water completely drains back down into the ground when the handle is put in the off position.  Fifteen minutes under the heat lamp thawed out the frozen handle and water was again available.  It is a pain carrying water, even more so in the snow.  I carry water at the end of chores so that if I slop it on myself I am about to go in to thaw out anyway.
  •  This is Ruby Dooby puppy's first Winter - first snow, first cold, first ice - and it's all an absolute blast!  She rolls over and over on the frozen pond.  She digs her face in the snow.  It is wonderful to watch her experience this newness with delight.  And since she is young and a hardy outdoor breed, she doesn't seem to feel the cold at all.

  •  It wasn't cold so much as just a lot of snow.  One morning they didn't come to plow the driveway.  The arrangement was that hubby needed to be on the road by 7:15 a.m.  This morning he was in bed with a cold.  As I finished up chores the plow arrived.  He said it was bad.  The road had not yet been plowed and hubby wouldn't have made it to work anyway.  We've had the plow five times already.
  • Cold is when I opened the barn door in the morning and the sheep all had frosty whiskers.  As I worked through my chores, frost built up on the front of my coat.  And I got cold.  I kept delaying returning to the house as there was more to do but finally I knew I had to get to the house to warm up.

  • For Christmas hubby gave me some gloves.  The intention was that I wear them in the barn under my leather work gloves.  These thin gloves were designed for e-use, to touch ones device as required in the cold weather.  Well, I don't have a device and if it's that cold why does one need to be playing with such things anyway.  However I am so thankful for these gloves.  They keep me warm in an amazing way.  And if I have any task that requires some dexterity I can usually accomplish that task without removing the inner gloves, just the outer gloves.
  • Cold and snow also mean it is time for snow shoeing.  So, Sister was hear this week with a Belgium colleague.  He had never been on snow shoes before.  We had a super time.  He was thrilled to snow shoe!  He took this photo of Sis and I.


    • You know it's cold when you don't want to get clean.  After all, getting clean requires removal of all of your clothes and stepping under water.  Oh, wow, the floor is cold, the water isn't warm enough yet.... 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment