Friday 20 June 2014

adventure, climbing and falling



When I named my blog "My New Farm Adventure" I really had no idea all of the adventures we would encounter.  I have been here now since about February 1st and there have been many experiences in the subsequent 4 plus months.

When my brother asked me the other day if - despite all of the adventures - I was happy, I responded a resounding "Yes!"  Yet, I cannot help but wonder why the events are so many.  Is it because I named my blog 'adventure'?  Does this word attract all of these events and drama?  Perhaps I need to focus on the positive peace of this venture.

For example, sitting on the veranda last night watching the sunset with hubby, I said, "Now, this is beautiful", and it was.  Every night the sunset views are really amazing.

Similarly, we went out on the weekend on the motorbikes.  It's not fun on our gravel road and we went out the long way so as to stop at the book store.  I know it sounds kind of weird but there is a bookstore at the end of our road, in sort of the middle of nowhere.  And the bookstore was recommended to hubby by another bookstore in Kingston.  So, off we went.

They were closed.  They have weird hours and it wasn't one of those weird hours.  So, we got back on the bikes and headed down the last one hundred meters of gravel road.  We turned onto the Thousand Island Parkway and headed east.


"Ah" I said aloud into my helmet visor, "This is it".  It was gorgeous.  The river was there, lovely and open.  The day was bright with clear blue and loads of rays.  The highway was good, with little traffic, a good solid road stretching out before us.  It really was a biker's paradise of a ride.

So, sunsets and bike rides are parts of the adventure but the blissful - full of bliss - pieces of this new life.  These are examples of the peaceful bits for which we made this move.

***************************************


When hubby came in the other night it was pouring rain.  The winds had been high, the rain volume plentiful and he was looking kind of bundled up against the storm.  "You know you won't be going anywhere tomorrow" he said.

"Well, I have nothing planned" I said, not getting the gist of what he was really saying.

"Oh" he said "So, you don't know what the disaster of the day is"

"What?" I said.

And then he explained that there was a tree down across the driveway.  Thus, he could get to work yet I would not be going far at all.



It wasn't too late yet but no matter, I sent off an email.  As it turns out that email was helpful to get us chainsaw help first thing in the morning.  It was after hubby was well on his way.  Yet, I appreciated that by about eight o'clock I was able to get out of the driveway.

As the photo indicates, there really was no way to get out with the perfect fall of this tree.  A good bit of the main tree trunk landed on a fence post.  And so, only a bit of the fence was actually damaged.  Only one u-nail was needed to repair the fence. 

It took me about an hour to haul all of the branches from the lawn onto the growing pile across from the garage.  There were three large and heavy branches that I was unable to move.  Yes, we have more firewood!



*************************************************

Many of the gardens look neglected.  I have done so; neglected them, that is.  I have left them to see what is actually growing there.  And I have been kind of busy...  Really, though, there are lots of perennials growing in these gardens.  There are more desirable plants than weeds and that is a good thing.  Of the desirable plants, many are overgrown and need to be split.

There are dark pink and also white peonies.  This is the perfect setting for them.  I find peonies messy and they are in a place where messy is just fine - even in their extra messy overgrown state.

There are numerous types of hostas and each needs to be split.  There are anemones, which at first I thought were cranesbill but these are just fine.  They kind of take over, but again, in this environment, their taking over is not such a bad thing.  

Then there is Snow on the Mountain or Aegopodium.  A rather invasive species it fills up tough spots nicely.  It has taken over a bit here but again that's okay.

There are some shrubs that may not make it as they are not filling into full leaf.  Perhaps winter was too hard for them.  I have seen some iris and some jonquils but they too need splitting.  Oh, and there is holly which mostly appears dead.  However, I have seen one small very green branch so perhaps it can be saved.

And then there is the Clematis.  It too needs some attention.  Yet, the flowers are monstrous and lovely, a beautiful purple.  The undersides appear to have very wide white strips.  These are some of my favourite flower photos.





There is much much beauty here.  It is breathtaking almost all of the time.  And I am grateful for all of the adventures, the climbing clematis and even the falling tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment