Thursday 5 June 2014

Lucky, Millie and flowers


The next morning I was amazed when I went out to the barn.  Lucky was lying down and got up when I peered over the doorway.  He stretched and walked over to the hay I had fed them and began to nuzzle it.  The swelling on his face and throat was substantially diminished.

About an hour later I went out and had another look.  Lucky was up and at the water bucket.  He drank deeply.  So, dehydration issues should now improve.

Oh, and it popped into my head that his twin should be called Lucy.  Although this is not really his twin, but the lamb that Dot likely stole from Spot, two days before she birthed her own twins...  Lucky and Lucy - it has a nice ring to it.

Later in the day the Vet's office called and I returned their call.  The Technician was reminding me of Beau-dog's booster appointment later this week, but, really, she wanted to know about Lucky.  She couldn't wait until later in the week.  She was delighted with the morning's observations I shared with her.

That afternoon Cousin arrived to review farm sitting stuff in anticipation of our upcoming absence.  Together we built a creep feeder for Dot's lambs.  A creep feeder is a small pen in a big pen in which lambs can 'creep' into while there mother cannot.  At least, that's the plan.  In the creep pen is extra food for the lambs.  This will really help Lucky.  When construction was completed I put down some cracked grains and some watered down Gatorade.

Later in the evening the grain was gone and so was the Gatorade.  And then we watched Dot walk into the creep - Oops!  The next day I put on an addition, a skid with pieces missing that allowed the lambs entry but not Dot.  Then my concern was that she would jump over.  I put a partial covering over the top to discourage such thoughts.  So far, so good.

This evening I pulled delicious grasses from in and around my flowerbeds and fed these to Dot and her lambs.  Lucky did not get up.  So, I took a few handfuls and put them in front of him and he ate them.  When I fed Dot some oats earlier in the day, Lucky did eat some of that too.  But he's slow and Dot pushed both lambs out of the way to allow her to hoover it up faster.  The creep will benefit both lambs.

Millie the Maremma guard dog is expected to arrive tomorrow.  She is not a pet.  She is a working dog who will become a part of the flock of sheep.  I have a pen area prepared for her and I bought her food and treats - the ones her owner says she likes.

The llamas are perhaps more attentive to the sheep - at least I am hoping so.  Last night as the sheep were herded into the barn, the llamas scooted up from the lean-to barn and into the Big Barn.  Tonight the llamas were in the Big Barn before I began rounding up sheep for the good night rituals.

After tucking in the sheep last night, Beau and I walked down to the get the mail from the mailbox at the end of the driveway.  In the field across the road I thought I saw a coyote.  I clapped my hands and it moved away.  I spoke to a fellow working in that field today.  He works for the owner.  He says there's not much you can do for coyotes.  I laughed about my scarecrow.  He thought it was silly.  "I will do anything", I said, "to keep them away."

Yesterday I changed the clothes on the scarecrow.  An androgynous being it is wearing hubby's discarded jeans and my beige blouse, held with black electrical tape.  I pulled these clothes from the discard bag and left them in the laundry hamper for a few days to absorb its odours.  I also moved the scarecrow.  It was very windy and some extra props were required.

Cousin helped me to plant the flowers I bought the other day.  I just got a few.  We put white impatiens in the hollow in the Weeping Willow tree.  I bought a rectangular planter and we put in it a white geranium and red petunias.  This we set on the bench by the fence at the end of the driveway.

The remaining plants - another geranium, a few petunias and impatiens, along with a basil plant - we put up in pots near the house.  I have lots of empty pots and they will just remain decoration this year.

I continue to observe what is coming up in the flower beds.  There are flowers.  There are weeds.  There are trees too, especially the invasive Manitoba Maple.  I just puttered away this evening with the goal of finding treats for Dot and family.  The lupins are developing a flower.  The Sand-cherry bushes are almost out in full leaf.  The mistletoe is mostly dead but has one branch that is green.

So, some hard pruning is in order and some digging.  The soil is nice to work in so it should not be too difficult.  Many plants need to be split.  I have offered some to my sheep neighbour who is interested.

I was quite exhausted after Cousin left this afternoon.  She did not exhaust me.  She did suggest I rest the remainder of the day.  I listened.  I had a huge nap.  The grey day is almost done and the rain has stopped.  Tomorrow's forecast looks great.  And Millie's coming...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that Lucky is bouncing back. Go Lucky go! And I love the name Lucy. Makes me think of Lucille Ball and all the crazy shenanigans she got into. Thanks for sharing this lovely update. And I am looking forward to hearing how Millie does with the sheep and the coyote.

    ReplyDelete