Saturday 28 June 2014

Spit and Chaos


Okay, the spit came first, then it was calm and then all hell broke loose.  We were leaving for Europe and we were organised, as we usually are, and so the day began.

Cousin came on the Friday afternoon which I really appreciated as this allowed her to have a good introduction to Millie and to see what had changed since she had visited previously.  Millie was a bit timid as she usually is when meeting people for the first time.  However, armed with treats and then offering dinner was a way to her heart and by breakfast next morning all seemed just fine.

So, after serving Millie her breakfast, Cousin did the other few chores involved in beginning the day. I watched as Millie headed out to the field, slowly trotting, tail flapping high and happy, as she went around to see the flock.  A few minutes later the sheep had turned around and were headed back the way they came, slowly moving away from Millie.  The flock does this, avoiding Millie in a calm way as they are still not allowing her to hangout too closely.  Millie proceeded in the same direction, checking some scents and then I turned away.

I hung back and let Cousin do things, on hand in case there were questions that needed answering to see her through the next ten days of our planned absence.  As Cousin headed toward the stack of hay to get some for Dot and her family, Henrietta was in the way, with her back end near to the hay.  I said, “Oh, just push past her”, which Cousin proceeded to do.  I was just about to say that I had never been kicked by the llama when it happened.  As Cousin pushed past Henrietta’s rump, the llama quickly shifted that flexible neck back and around, up the side of Cousin’s head and blasted her with spit.  It was not a warning.  It was kind of yukky.

Well, now that Cousin was fully initiated we headed back to the house for breakfast.  While eating breakfast I turned to look out of the window to the barn.  The sheep were looking outward across the Front Field, ears up, all of them, on alert.  “Something’s wrong” I said and I leaped up and was out the door. 

I had barricaded the person gate to prevent Millie from going under it regularly and struggled with the big gate, but got through and ensured I replaced the cinder block so there would be no escapees.  I turned and ran up the hill.  Millie was on the far side of the barn, in front of her flock, barking.  She was protecting her flock, staying with them and between them and the intruder. 

As I looked across the field I saw the coyote at the fence line.  I yelled loudly at it.  I then turned around toward the house and hollered for hubby.  Later he told me he was in a sound sleep when he heard that.  A rude awakening I am sure.  And although I hollered for him, I had not articulated what I needed.  I turned back to the field and the coyote was gone.  Although I could see nothing I expected there was damage. 

I headed down the ridge and across the field, calling Millie to come with me.  She continued to bark and came along with me.  As I neared the fence I could see the lamb on the ground.  She was still breathing, its neck and abdomen opened up.

I turned back to the barn and moved away from the scene.  As hubby came closer I asked him to get his gun and shoot the lamb.  He did.  It took two shots.  The sound of the gunshot sent Millie into a spin.  She ran.  She ran to the barn, to the front of the field, to the back of the barn and then I think she ran into the woods.  She was gone.

We put the dead lamb in the wheelbarrow and put it in the Small Barn.  I telephoned the neighbours trying to find someone to bury the lamb today so that Cousin would not have to worry about this.  In the end we put it into a grain bag or two, tied it up tightly and the neighbours came by for it later in the day.

We discussed further strategy with Cousin.  This involved Millie and her return, which I expected since she had returned before after a fright.  And also we discussed perhaps keeping the sheep in later in the morning, walking the field in the morning, etc.  And then we had to get ready to go.

We showered, gathered our bags and packed the car.  We gave Cousin a hug and said to email.  And off we went.

At the airport restaurant I recounted the morning thus far to the waiter.  He was aghast.   I apologised.  He said not to apologise that yes a drink was likely in order (I passed) and that it was all very interesting.

It was an amazingly crazy way to begin the day, a day which ended after a lot of hours of travel, in Brussels, Belgium. 





No comments:

Post a Comment