Sunday 9 February 2014

The sun was spectacular this morning, shining off of the bright clean-white snow.  I observed this from the breakfast table.  It was just lovely.  Dog went in and out and stayed out several times, sitting and looking off the deck; or sometimes sitting in the lane looking toward the door hoping someone would come out and play with him. 

Beau-dog has been very itchy which I have chocked up to dry skin from the new world of woodstove heat.  A closer look this morning while brushing him and he has irritation on his chest.  He is losing hair in chunks, mostly from his haunches; it's almost easier to pick it up than to vacuum.  I have to add more oil to his food to clear up the dryness and dandruff.

Late morning Beau and I headed out to trek along the fence line.  I donned snowshoes.  The goal was to see what repairs may be needed before acquiring livestock and putting them in this area.  There are a few spots that need repair but these are close to the house in the barnyard area.  In other spots, the fence is curled over along the top row of the page wire, as horses do when they reach over the top to get at morsels on the other side.  This should be okay for sheep but we can fix it up later. 

I noticed burdock bushes along the way.  These and sheep or Beau are not a good combination.  As I can get around more when the snow is melting I'll gather them up and burn them.    The other item of interest were the canine tracks.  I assume these belonged to a coyote as they entered at the road in a straight line as if he'd come across the field on the other side.  He travelled pretty well straight across and then over the fence again. 

It's becoming overcast now in the early afternoon and there is a very light snow falling.  The fire in the woodstove is roaring.  Laundry is almost done.  D.R. is working on his computer.  Beau is sleeping at my feet before the fire.  All is well in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment