Wednesday 26 February 2014

Lessons on propane

Do you know that propane is a liquid and that the fuel is the vapour from that liquid?  I've learned a great deal about propane in the last few days...

On the weekend we decided we should gently move the snow away from the propane storage tank.  I was told when I set up the account to check the guage and that when it said 30% to call for a fill.  Since the tank was filled in late fall and I was informed that the tank normally lasted the seller a good part of the year, I had no concerns.

I found the gauge.  It read 15% and I began to worry.  Hubby too checked the tank and said he smelled gas.  So, I called.  Within a few hours someone was there.  Yes, it's leaking.  The leak is considered insignificant in terms of amount lost but important enough that it needs to be fixed.  He couldn't fix it.  He did however assure me that the amount of fuel in the tank was more than enough to see me through the 7 business days until they could re-fill.  But, since he couldn't fix it and it likely has been leaking for a very long time, we needed a new tank. 

Now, the tank belongs to the company and we just rent it.  So, the company decided to replace their tank.  They'd be there first thing tomorrow morning, I was told, and they were there - by late morning.  Two more fellows arrived with a new tank, but first they were going to try to fix the leaking tank.  They couldn't fix it.  They tried to lift the tank out with their boom truck.  It was frozen solid from December's ice storm.  Then they went away.

A few hours later another fellow arrived.  Curtis was service man #4, and I said I felt like they were taking really good care of me.  He was there to start the fire.  He set up a burner in the driveway and began to burn off the fuel that remained in the damaged tank.  I would - of course - get a credit for that 12% that remained in the tank and was now lighting up the yard as if it were a Christmas story.

Then the other two fellows returned.  They had three smaller, upright tanks.  They dug in the snow, right down to the ground next to the frozen tank and set up the smaller temporary tanks.  Each tank contained about 10%.  Keep in mind that a fill is 80%.  Now I had 30% whereas before I had 15% which had gone down to 12%.  Mathematically I was feeling more positive, which will amuse many readers who know that mathematics is not one of MY assets.

The bonfire went on until almost eleven and Curtis stayed to see it through.  I made him a tea.  We chatted.  He went out again.  It felt like a long night.  Before he left Curtis said the old tank will just stink.  When we see it is free of the ice, we are to call for its removal and they'll bring the new tank.  The new tank will be green - and it will match the shutters on the house.

No sign of a fill today but I'm okay.  The temperature outside has dipped again but I'm good inside.  I'm liking the propane cook stove a lot too.  I've learned so much about propane...

No comments:

Post a Comment