Saturday 1 March 2014

Delighted to be here

I was coming down the road and put on my turn signal as I approached the driveway.  I know we're out in the country and there's no one around, really, but there is a rise as you get to the driveway and with the snowbank you cannot see oncoming traffic.  As I slowed, there was the postal truck coming toward me.

It's one of those specialty trucks that is right hand drive.  This allows the driver to reach out his window to put the mail into the mailbox.  You don't see a lot of them.  Even here I see vans more frequently than these specialty trucks.  I wonder what you have to do or how long you have to be with Canada Post rural before you get one of these fancy right hand drive trucks...

I let the truck have his right of way and pulled into the end of the driveway.  I got out to get the mail from the box and the driver had already leapt out with my mail in hand.  He wasn't going to lean out of his window to place the mail in the mailbox and put up the flag to indicate mail has arrived.  He was hand delivering my mail to me.

"Hi, I'm Larry" he said. 
"I'm Kelly" I said. 
"Nice to meet you" he replied. 
"I'll get the name written properly on the mail box when it gets a bit warmer".  I wasn't sure of the regulations and wanted him to know I was on it. 
"Oh" he said.  "I know everybody that should be here"
"I'm sure you do" I replied. 
As he headed back to his right hand door he looked back and said, "You have a really nice place here". 
"Thank you!" I said.  We are delighted to be here".

No comments:

Post a Comment