Thursday 20 March 2014

Chortling Chooks

I didn't know that chook is a term used for chickens in Australia and New Zealand.  I like the word chook. 


My chooks arrived yesterday.  And they happily chortle.  They CHORTLED - perhaps SQUAWKED - when the young lad at the feed store had to tilt the crate to get them into my car.  This sound was much louder when I had to tilt the crate A LOT to get it out of the car when I got home.  And then EVEN LOUDER when the crate fell out of the wheelbarrow as I was heading up to the barn with it.




Here in the photo the chooks are slowly and quietly coming out of the crate after finally arriving at the barn.  We are all calmer now.  And now we just chortle the way chooks should do. 

The six chooks are of the breed "Red Sex Linked", ready-to-lay hens and came from Frey's in St. Jacobs.  I ordered them through the feed store where they were delivered.  They are considered the best layers and should produce many lovely brown eggs.

I perhaps was not as organised as I was excited.  There is now chicken poop in the back of my car.  I did clean up what was simple to do so.  I didn't fuss though as I had to take the crate back today.  Now I get to really clean it up.  

Despite the hurdles of arrival there was a small egg in the crate.  Although gently cracked we ate it for dinner with our pancakes and bacon, splitting it in half, we were so excited to eat our own egg - just one.

And today there were none.  No eggs.  I looked in the hen boxes I had set up, under things, in corners, on the hay, under the hay, etc....  But there was lovely chortling in the barn.  Feed was eaten, water was consumed, chortling continued, all six girls were quite happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment