Sunday 30 March 2014

Saturday with friends

What a busy and lovely day with friends!  We drove to the house-not-yet-sold and met with our friends and their truck and trailer.  The neighbours also arrived to help.  We are very appreciative of all of their help!

The movers on "moving day" were unable to take some outside items as they were frozen-in.  Some serious thawing has been underway.  Everyone pitched in and the truck and trailer were filled with various outdoor items such as cedar lawn furniture, the power washer, and the hallowed and heavy foo dogs. 

Okay, I was not pitching in at this area of activity.  Inside, I washed floors.  I finished about the time the truck pulled out of the driveway.

After some time we arrived back at the farm, grabbed lunch and unloaded. Then we headed off on other errands.  We loaded the trailer for a trip to the dump.  It's not far away, the dump, and we wanted to make full use of the available trailer.  This was very helpful in making more space in the garage so we can better set up some things there. 

At the dump we met up with the fellow who checks up on your sorting.  There is a great deal of garbage sorting here and recycling.  He's kind of like a garbage police guy but nicer, I think.  He inspected our offerings and decided how much was truly garbage and therefore how many stickers or tags I'd have to provide him with.  And I remembered that we owed him a tag as the first time we went we'd forgotten the tags.  So, I began with offering him the tag we'd not provided before.  He was there the first time and said how he hated to see folks take garbage home so we could bring the tag next time.  I remembered....

And, as he was inspecting our offerings and another vehicle pulled up behind us, he said, "This is how it will be all afternoon.  Everyone wants to come and play in the mud."  He was hilariously correct; it was incredibly mucky!

From there we went to pick up the colostrum.  Someone had suggested I ask the dairy farmer from whom I'd bought the hay to save me some colostrum to keep on hand in the freezer during lambing.  After asking him to save some colostrum I learned you can buy it at the feed store.  I'm sure however that the freshly frozen in my freezer is better than the freeze dried in the feed store. 

So, up the township a bit we went in the truck with the trailer, and our friends and their twin boys and my sister.  And I was presented with a calf bottle full of colostrum.  Asked what I was going to take it in I asked what contained it now.  A calf bottle.  "Well, that will do", I said.  "Okay, but I need to get it back".  "Not a problem" I replied.  I was so grateful and said I'd have to come by with baked cookies.

Then the dairy farmer put his two kids in the car and off we went to the dairy barn over on the next concession, his great grandfather's barn.  There we met the calf born that morning, for whom the colostrum was intended.  We had a great tour of the dairy barn and met some 45 or so Holstein cows, some yearling heifers and some very young calves. 

We bid thanks and adieu and off we went to explore the township further.  Now we were in search of wooden pallets.  Noting the time, I telephoned home and hubby put dinner in the oven.  I'd made vegetarian lasagna the day before and remembered to pick up the requested garlic bread.  It all just needed to be reheated to bubbly and cheese melted on top.

I have experienced some challenges in acquiring some used equipment.  A most immediate need in the next few weeks will be lambing pens and I cannot manage delays in getting the equipment that has been offered me to purchase.  It's been challenging is all I'll say here. 

We winkled on down to the local village and stopped at the grocery store where pallets were piled outside.  I spoke to a lady sorting boxes outside on a pallet.  Unfortunately, these pallets were intended to be returned for their deposit.

So, after a brief consultation we headed to the feed store in the next village.  We were retracing steps already travelled and deja vu was referenced.  A few days before I was told by staff at the feed store that they just toss them in the garbage and should I want the pallets to take them.  There were two in the garbage and one on the loading dock and the place was closed.  It was now after four.  We took the two in the garbage, tied them down and headed home.

And then there was good chatter, good food and good wine.  What a fine day with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment