Friday 7 March 2014

Moving Madness

I like process so I can see the journey aspect of moving.  But still, I'm not sure I want to take years to unpack!  We'll see how long the journey of moving madness lasts...

The "pre-pack" was Friday which we couldn't really understand.  They started packing on Friday, which maybe is pre-packing.  On Monday, they finished packing.  Well, sort of.  They finished packing except for where they didn't finish packing.  But that was okay because the guys started the next day by finishing the packing and then they loaded the truck.

They left at about three o'clock and I continued cleaning for another three hours.  Even then, on the way home I remembered the things I forgot.  I had to do a good clean as there is an open house this Sunday.  I sent the real estate agent an email later and mentioned the dead mouse in the trap in the basement.  I suggested she slide it behind the door with her toe and no one would see it there...

Some things could not be packed as they were frozen into the ground.  So, we will make arrangements ourselves to fetch these things when it thaws.  For example, there is the power washer in the shed and the marble foo dogs out front. 

Originally they had scheduled two days to pack, a 'spare' day and then the unload day.  I guess since they started packing on the pre-pack day, we were ahead of schedule and they announced they'd unload the next day.  We were pleased with that.

They telephoned at about eight and said they were close by and would be there soon.  We had not expected them until about ten o'clock.  There were some challenges getting the transport truck up the driveway but the driver was successful after dumping a half bag of road salt onto the appropriately offending parts of the driveway.  They were finished by two o'clock.  We had a nap after they left!


The following day the unpackers arrived.  I wasn't sure I wanted their help but am very glad to have accepted it.  They do not put things away - although in this crew one woman did so and I appreciate what she did.  Putting things away made space elsewhere, even if I change things around later.  The crew gathered up the paper and boxes and took them away.  So, we felt the sea of boxes was now more manageable. 

Each day some of the crew changed.  All had great attitudes and worked very very hard.  They were respectful of us and of each other.  They often worked in pairs and a few times had a line going.  They changed up as needed, taking on different tasks as required.  What a great bunch for such hard work.

We still don't know where many things will go.  There is a lot of space.  We have a lot of stuff.  It is different space into which we need to fit our stuff.  It takes time to do this.  I often say "I don't know" because I really don't know where something should go.  It will all find it's place, in time.

The goal has been achieved:  hubby and I and dog are all in one place with our stuff.


1 comment:

  1. Kelly...love the blog, your new home and the pictures. So beautiful! Enjoy. Xxoo

    ReplyDelete