Friday 14 March 2014

Llama Spit

I expected this to happen.  It is not a maybe but a for sure thing, that I will be on the receiving end of llama spit. 

Llamas spit in self defense and to be nasty and argumentative with each other.  The previous owner of the llamas I have purchased did say that Henrietta once spit at him.  He explained that he felt he pushed her a little too far and she was having a bad day, likely in heat for the first time.  See, animals get cranky too...

At any rate, I completely misread Henrietta's body language one evening and when I turned my head away there was a big puff at the side of my head and I realized she had spit.  She hadn't taken the time to gather a big wad for the shot, so I wasn't really wearing any debris to demonstrate I had been a victim.

She's been itchy.  I think she's buggy, and this happens.  I got some bug powder but want to work her up to it.  We're still building rapport.  I can't just corner her and douse her with louse powder.  A gentler approach is needed at this point in time.  The cornering approach I'll save for later.

So, I had just fed the girls and they were munching on hay and I was poking her a bit along her giraffe neck - okay, her llama neck.  She pressed back, almost leaning into me.  I poked a bit more, gently pressing back on her shoulder.  She cocked her head and neck downward and pushed them into me.  I read she was leaning back into me.  Really, she was telling me to get lost.  Not receiving her intended message, I pressed some more, chuckling at what I perceived to be her game.  I left my hand close to her and looked away to the other animals.  And then I felt the big puff on the side of my head.  Since she was eating and not chewing her cud I think I was saved a great deal of clean up.

I pouted and whined.  I don't think it had much effect.  Mostly I quickly reviewed in mind what had just happened and how I had totally misread Henrietta's body language.  She was not interested in reading my body language and my pout.  We're still building rapport....


No comments:

Post a Comment